What is in-office pre-packaged medications dispensing?
Pre-packaged medications dispensing is the in-office preparation and delivery of prescription drugs to patients in physician practices and other clinical settings. Through new technologies which manage inventory and dosing, drug dispensing at the point of care has become a safe, effective and cost-efficient way of helping patients organize their treatment plans, while opening a new possible revenue stream for doctors’ practices.
Choosing to get involved
More and more practices are choosing to offer physician dispensing or in-house pharmaceutical services to their patients as an option to profit from the growing “one-stop shop” tendency. Even smaller practices are considering offering supplementary services to grow revenues while refining the entire patient experience.
Before you decide to take the step towards offering this solution to your patients, read about how to start the process and make sure to print out the contents of this article – as a checklist of things to consider before you start. There are some things you need to know that can make or break your chances of offering a successful in-house pharmacy program.
Make sure you consider these points before making your decision:
- Make sure that your payers don’t have restrictions on where prescriptions may be filled.
- Some brand-name drugs may be too expensive to offer at a reasonable cost, depending on your specialty. Check if this point considers you.
- Decide if your practice can benefit from an in-house pharmacy: to succeed you need to involve your staff to reassure patients to utilize the service.
- Make sure that the necessary financial and staffing resources are available to set up a pharmacy and hire a pharmacist or technician to cover it
- Determine which medications you need or wish to offer, based on which are most frequently dispensed as well as which payers will refund.
- You will need to hire an adequate retail pharmacist or licensed pharmacy technician to fill prescriptions.
- You will need good negotiating skills in order to handle drug pricing with payers.
- Cost-effective choices for smaller practices include in-office dispensing not requiring a licensed pharmacist or technician.
- The consent of all physicians in the practice is required to get on board with an in-house pharmacy – make sure you can get that from them.
- Consult with an attorney who can draw up the correct paperwork and advise the practice on acquiescence and other rules.
- Laws commanding pharmacies differ from state to state – be sure to understand your state’s laws and licensing demands.
Pre-packaged medications at DirectRX
DirectRX, one of the best prepackaged medication providers, offers point-of-care pre-packaged medication and customized dispensing solutions to healthcare providers
Whether you are an urgent care clinic, on-site clinic, hospital, work-comp clinic or physician practice DirectRx is more than willing to meet your needs related to in office medication dispensing system.
We are experts at handling prescription delivery services for a variety of medication dispensing programs. Our system is easy to use, thus providing convenience to clinics and doctors.
Get in touch with us to find out how our expertise as one of the best prepackaged medication providers, can serve your medical practice.
The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE, and is not intended to be a substitute for independent professional medical judgment, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.